Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Parenting with Wisdom

PARENTAL RESPECT

There’s a common problem in many homes today. Disrespect. Refusing to consider each other’s opinions, interrupting when someone’s talking, never apologizing for a mistake. Sounds like I’m talking about children, doesn’t it? But, parents, I’m actually referring to the way you behave.

Maybe you’ve seen it – a parent spewing anger or yelling careless words to control a child. You may have even done it yourself. It’s an easy trap to fall into. After all, such methods do create compliance – at least for that moment. But does it really make sense for a parent to demand respect by acting disrespectfully themselves?

Disrespect is an attack on a child’s self-worth. Parents who scream, belittle, interrupt, and lecture endlessly will erode the connection between them and their child. And without connection, parents face a never-ending struggle. As author Josh McDowell says, “Rules without relationship equals rebellion.” Over the long run, disrespect from a parent will lead to less compliance from a child, not more.

Another important consideration is what a parent’s behavior models. As you’ve probably already noticed, kids don’t need help learning how to be disrespectful. It’s part of the fallen nature at work within all of us. But that’s why it’s even more crucial for parents to keep themselves under control. It models for the child how to resolve conflict with another person while treating them with respect.

Listen, I understand how tough it is to raise kids these days. But parenting with respect not only shows a child how deeply we value them, but the need to respect others as well. Today, ask God to help you model a life worth imitating.

Whenever I open the devotion plan of YouVersion Bible App in my phone, this particular sharing, which is Day 7 of 7 - Parental Respect from Parenting with Wisdom, always pop up! And I will find myself reading it over again and still learn something. It is a very good reminder for me in my relationship with my daughters. By His grace, I have learned to be kind to them with my words. No more shouting or screaming over my girls, but gentle reprimand and reminder.

I noticed my girls, esp. Tiffany, has grown closer to me. She is going to be 10 this November and showing some signs of a teenager! I'm glad that we are getting closer and she is more expressive in showing her love for me, holding my hands, kissing me goodnight with loud smooches, haha! Praise the Lord! I thank God for teaching me how to show love to my daughters while I still can be strict with them. ;)

There are a lot more devotion plans on Parenting in YouVersion, so go get them! I would also recommend "Joseph Prince's Devotional", wonderful and powerful sharing of God's word coupled with testimonies. I am so blessed by it! View a Sample Reading here: Day 1 - You Matter to God!

No comments: